The Kuskokwim River.
I have been in Napakiak now for almost 2 weeks, and still have not been able to move into my house due to some unforeseen happenings. From what it looks like, I might be able to move in this week or most likely, guaranteed, by December. haha. (have a good laugh, that's how things are in the Bush)
If you look at the previous post, I showed you what my classroom looked like when I had first arrived in the village. After countless hours of cleaning, rearranging, moving and decorating:
Ladies and Gentlemen: My Classroom.
Thank you, Whitney S. for the hashtag idea, the students have gotten a kick out of it.
Daily Schedule
(This has changed since I made this board....such is life here, TIP: Don't set anything in stone until its the 4th or 5th version. They might then be set.)
Wall of Famous Failures
All of these people faced hardship and what would seem like failure, but they persevered through. I thought this would be good for the students in my village because a lot of them face hardships ever day that most adults couldn't fathom.
-----------------------
THE FIRST 2 DAYS OF SCHOOL!
Missing chair game!(edit: chair game thanks to Abigail V.)
Their legs gave out!
Missing Chair Game 6 People!
The Human Knot!
Falling through the floor!
Self rising arms!
Missing chair game Jr. High! 6 people!
The first few days of school were exhausting and amazing. I played a lot of games and get to know you things. I had them write about the favorite cultural tradition and had them fill out an interest inventory. The schedule has now changed and I will not be teaching 5-12 Math and History any more, I will be teaching Math, history and Health/P.E to the 7-12th graders.
Today:
Today (saturday) Randy, Liz, Steph and I all ventured into Bethel for some groceries and civilization in order to get out of the village! We had chinese food and steak fries. Upon arriving back at the village and getting Randy's boat pulled out a local came and offered us a freshly caught salmon! Naturally, I offered to gut the fish!
And guess what we had for dinner? Yup, you guessed it, that salmon! It felt pretty awesome, and thanks to Randy it was quite delectable.
Lastly, heres some photos of Curtis (my roommate) and Steph!
















1 comment:
The next big fish guy!
Post a Comment